Ready Now Programme
Are you an aspiring senior BAME Leader?
You’ve worked your way up. You’ve trained, self-improved. You’ve given up your own time. You’ve inspired others and earned respect. You’ve overcome adversity. You’ve proven just how good you are. But you’re not done yet.
If your next move is towards a board level position, or a significantly more senior role then our Ready Now programme for senior BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) leaders can help realise your potential. The programme will support you to work within the system, to transform towards greater levels of equality and inclusion as you progress.
Ready Now is an innovative, inspirational positive action programme from the NHS Leadership Academy which will enhance your skills, knowledge and ability to succeed. It’s a game changer.
There are taught elements, self-taught elements, group work, psychodynamic processes, experiential learning and a constantly evolving range of approaches to support your success.
And, once on the programme you’ll be contributing to a more inclusive leadership culture that better represents the demographic of our country and showcases the depth and breadth of BAME talent across the NHS.
Who’s the programme for?
Applications are welcome from individuals working in the NHS or providing NHS funded services (in England) at band 8a, or clinical equivalent or above.
Successful applicants will already have leadership experience as the programme is designed for leaders from under-represented groups that want to become senior leaders in the NHS. The programme will positively reinforce your view that the NHS should be more inclusive and representative of the communities it serves, and stretch and develop your leadership in ways which contribute towards this outcome.
This year-long programme starts with a three-day residential and features a combination of face-to-face, self-directed and workplace based learning. As you progress, we’ll help you advance through:
- A coaching relationship that continues throughout the programme
- Engaging in a variety of interventions in the work environment in which you explore different behaviours, strategies and impact
- Writing at least one article for publication that demonstrates the value of your learning through this programme
The Ready Now programme consists of 12 residential dates spread across five modules. The modules will take place at the NHS Leadership Academy’s offices in Leeds city centre.
Benefits for participants
The aim of the Ready Now programme is to release the leadership potential of participants with the specific learning needed to:
- Progress into more senior roles within the NHS
- Provide the NHS with outstanding, inclusive leaders for the future
- Effectively influence change within the NHS so that it achieves considerably greater levels of race equality specifically, and the whole spectrum of equality generally
- Develop BAME leaders to reach their potential meaning better patient care is provided
- Harness skills to create more inclusive cultures across the NHS
It’s a blended learning experience, drawing on cutting edge research on the issues that influence the progression of BAME leaders and affect the NHS.
At the end of your journey, you’ll be in a position to showcase your leadership learning and have the confidence in yourself to influence a more inclusive NHS.
You’ll be more adept at convincing others of your potential, by providing concrete evidence that supports the difference your learning has made in an extended work context.
Benefits for organisation
- Work at a faster pace towards the equality agenda
- Inspire other BAME colleagues to progress into more senior roles
- Participants bringing positive and productive changes to their teams, services and patients in areas such as increasing staff morale, improving patient experience and effective service redesign
- More strategic working with greater collaboration across large and complex programmes, departments, services and systems of care, leading to less waste and more efficient use of resources
- Building a powerful, regional and national support network of like-minded, influential leaders that the organisation can gain support from and test out innovative ideas
- Increasing the number of inspiring and innovative leaders in the organisation’s talent pipeline for better succession planning
- Demonstrate improved leadership practices thus having a greater positive impact on organisational culture and inclusive, patient centred care
The Ready Now programme has been designed to improve patient care by utilising and unleashing the talents of BAME leaders at the most senior levels. This programme is for you if you have aspirations to:
- Progress into more senior roles
- Impact systems for greater levels of inclusion
- Ensure that other BAME and under-represented groups will be ‘lifted up as you climb’
Is the programme free?
The Ready Now programme is fully funded by the NHS Leadership Academy. However, this does not mean it’s free. Participants must commit themselves to the full journey of the programme and will be asked to sign a document expressing their intention to do so, prior to taking up their place. If participants withdraw from the programme before fully completing it, and without extenuating circumstances agreed with the NHS Leadership Academy, their organisation will be liable to bear the full cost of the programme £2,800.
How do I apply?
Applications for the Ready Now programme will open on Monday 21st January 2019 and will close on Friday 1st March 2019. To apply, please complete the application process via NHSx on the Academy's website.
Who can I contact for more information?
For more information about The Ready Now programme, please visit the NHS Leadership Academy website.
If you want to talk about your development needs with the Leadership Academy, you can contact them on 0113 3225699 or drop them an email at readynow.nla@HEE.nhs.uk
You may also like
The Rosalind Franklin Programme
The Rosalind Franklin programme For mid-level leaders Applications are...
Self Discovery Day
About the programme Research shows that the most powerful facto...
MBTI Community of Practice
The Myers Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) is a widely used...
Healthcare Leadership Model
The Healthcare Leadership Model for health has been developed to create a vi...